Who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner? Breakfast for dinner was always one of my favorites growing up. My mom would make homemade biscuits and gravy, bacon and eggs and it was always a family pleaser! With school activities starting up again, the thought of that much time in the kitchen in the evening is not very practical.
How about breakfast for dinner that can be prepped ahead of time and quickly thrown in the oven on a busy weeknight? This Tator Tot Breakfast for Dinner Casserole recipe, from our Classic Menu, is super easy to put together and will keep you from dirtying up your kitchen on those hectic nights!
Tator Tot Breakfast for Dinner Casserole
On prepping day, begin by gathering all of your ingredients: frozen tator tots, cooked breakfast sausage, eggs, milk, salt and pepper (the bacon bits and cheese will come into play on the day you cook it).
To begin assembling, put the tator tots and cut-up cooked sausage into a greased casserole dish and cover. Blend up the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in your blender and cover with a lid.
On cooking day, sprinkle half the cheese over the tator tot mixture.
Next pour the prepped egg mixture over the top.
Now sprinkle in the extra cheese (mmmmm, cheese) and bacon bits. Be sure to use real bacon bits and not the imitation – those imitation jarred bits do not have any bacon in them (textured soy, ewww). You can always make your own bacon bits, if you would like!
Bake at 375 for 45-55 minutes, or until eggs are set. Make sure to set out the casserole dish ahead of time so it does not crack going into the hot oven.
Once it is all done, you can garnish with a little green onion to give it a little more pizzazz.
Serve with strawberries and grapes, or just gobble it up all by itself! This is sure to be a kid-favorite with all of those tator tots added in!
Don’t you love only having one dish to wash after dinner? If you want more make-ahead recipes that will save you time in the kitchen, be sure to check out our dinner meal-prep plans.
- 32 oz frozen tater tots
- 8 oz cooked breakfast sausage refrigerated
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 C milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz real bacon bits
- 3 C shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 1/2 lb strawberries
- 1/2 lb grapes
- In a large baking dish sprayed with non stick spray, line the bottom tater tots. *you may not use the whole bag.
- Chop sausage into bite size pieces and layer over top of tater tots. Cover with plastic wrap or lid.
- In a blender, add next 3 ingredients and blend. Cover with lid.
- Remove plastic wrap and sprinkle half the cheese over the tater tot mixture.
- Pour eggs over top and top with remaining cheese and bacon bits. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45-55 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Serve with strawberries and grapes.
On Cooking Day